Monday, May 20, 2013

Razor Cuff

Universal Razor Cuff

Continuing with the morning routine theme of recent posts, finding a satisfactory independent method of shaving myself confirmed that necessity is the mother of invention.

Once the halo and vest came out of my skull and off of my chest it was time to resume shaving my own face. I had not developed the dexterity to wield the small handle of my razor and refused to use an electric razor because of the mediocre shave they provide. So, with the assistance of an occupational therapist, we adapted the handle of my current razor by adding material used the make splints, including those designed to improve a patient's wrist tenodesis, as spoken of previously in The Gloves post.

To that a modified universal cuff* with a wider than standard pocket was added for the enlarged razor handle and I, again, had a usable razor. Regaining that piece of independence and the satisfaction of a nice shave was a good day. I used that cuff and razor for years until the razor would no longer hold a new blade securely and the stitching on the cuff's pocket had begun to let go, repair attempts with tape being short-lived. It was then that a decision had to be made. Repair it, replace it, or find a way to eliminate the need for it.

I found a razor with a built in electric trimmer. The need to house batteries made for a larger diameter and longer handle and I have shaved with it for years after a short period of becoming accustomed to it.

The first cuff was made by the kindest and most creative of people who could work wonders with that sewing machine. Thank you, Beulah. You will see more of her work in the weeks to come.

Source: Talented Seamstress. Components for the cuff from a fabric and sewing store. Splint material from n occupational therapy catalog though you can buy plastic that melts together and becomes pliable in hot water, which would make a very suitable substitute.

*A universal cuff is simply a strap with a slot or pocket that secures around the hand with Velcro. Typically the slot is large enough for a utensil handle or toothbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment