Monday, December 16, 2013

Writing Splint


Over the next few weeks we will look at the technology available to enhance productivity. A simple microphone combined with voice to text software that allows me to type faster than my thoughts can keep up. Touch screens and styluses that can make using a smart phone or tablet much easier but also be the source of accidental actions when a clumsy finger inadvertently taps the wrong place on the screen. And a trackball that allows easy two-handed navigation of a cursor when even the twitch of an index finger to click a sensitive little button on a mouse is impossible.

Most common when you hear someone speak about a person's ability to write is to think about the topic of literacy. After a bad enough spinal cord injury, in the cervical region of the spine, the ability to write is most often affected by the betrayal of our digits, and not a deficiency in education.

I have my chicken scratch that I am still able to scribble out in a pinch with a writing implement woven under my index finger, over my middle finger and under my ring and middle finger. I find that hardly effective for anything more than a quick signature or jotting down a note. For any serious writing on paper I use the writing splint pictured above.

The plastic coated portion of the splint slides over the hand, behind the knuckles but in front of the thumb. The index finger rests on top of the end of the pen with additional support coming from the C-shaped contour wrapping around a portion of the finger. Writing with this instrument is most definitely better than without it but it does have its drawbacks. Movement of the writing implement is no longer made by the hand or fingers but moves back to the wrist, elbow and shoulder. This makes for reduced dexterity even after a time of practice, increased muscle fatigue, and poor posture which has long-term effects on body pain.

In addition to all of that there is the dependency on a and awkwardly shaped tool for something as important as writing. It's not convenient to carry with me. Thankfully, most of our writing has a technological advancement to it, be that for writing this post and most other medium to large writing tasks, texting or simple note taking. I have already looked at the adaptation I use for standard typing on a keyboard; a simple yellow pencil dipped in an industrial plastic coating.

Source: Occupational therapy product catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment