Monday, February 10, 2014

Extended Blind Chain


As the winter sun climbs higher each day it also grows in intensity making the desire to open blinds greater as the heat given by the sun exceeds the cold air let in by opening the blinds. How much easier, or simply possible, it is for an individual in a wheelchair when those blinds have an extended cord or chain.

Often the chain is not so short or high up that it cannot be reached but, a longer chain makes it much easier to open the blinds by allowing each longer pull to be more productive than if a person can just barely reach it. The chain in the photo above was one in our home that I forgot to indicate to the blind installer that I wanted it to be longer. Thankfully, it was simple to buy an extension that fits seamlessly with the existing chain, except for the fact that they were out of the gray chain installed with the blinds so I had to settle for white.

Function over form often rules.

Source: Custom blind installers and many hardware stores.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I'm loving the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! This morning I was frustrated pulling my blind chain, as I am every morning which begs the question: why don't I get a longer chain? :)

    ReplyDelete