Monday, March 3, 2014

Medications


It's no surprise that persons with a disability often need additional medication to maintain their health and have the fewest factors interfering with their lives. Some of the medications quads or paraplegics may need include antispasmodics, including targeted antispasmodics such as those that relax and deliver a mild analgesic to the smooth muscles in the body, for example, bladder muscles. These increase bladder capacity and reduces the detrusor muscle contractions, which cause the urge to drain the bladder, or even incontinence.

I'm grateful to be able to adequately control my body and limb spasms with stretching, the exception being when I'm in significant discomfort. Those are the times it is wise to look for a pain problem and remove it, if possible. It disappoints me to learn of how many physicians and physiatrists prescribe a liver or kidney deteriorating pain killer or blood pressure medication rather than seek to solve to problem causing the issues. The blood pressure increase is a result of autonomic dysreflexia.


I much prefer to solve problems through natural options such as diet, physiotherapy, and massage, saving more invasive medical treatments for when they are really needed.

Many of my peers are on a constant low dose of antibiotics to keep bladder infections in check. Regularly inserting and withdrawing a catheter, as clean as you try to be, will result in infection on occasion. Others require significant antispasmodics to keep their body from spasming them right out of their chair. Once again, I'm glad my stretching is adequate.

By no means is this comprehensive, just a sample of what many of us need to make the most of life each day. I'm thankful to need only one prescription and a few vitamins to function well. We'll look at the ubiquitous child-proof quad-proof bottles that most of those come in soon.

Source: Your doctor. Even vitamins and minerals should be discussed as to how they may interact with other medications or affect your body.




2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I lament at how many prescriptions I take, other times I remember how medications have saved my life. They are a blessed curse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. I'm so prone to the side effects that I think hard before accepting a new prescription. Thankfully the can be life saving and quality enhancing.

    ReplyDelete