Monday, March 24, 2014

Shoelaces


When your dexterity is limited tying anything is difficult. I have had my experience with weaving different knots, bracelets, lanyards and keychains using paracord but that is so much different than tying shoes. With paracord I typically have plenty of extra slack to work with, the knot or lanyard is in front of me at the ideal height on a desk or table, and they are typically knots tied tight enough that they will never come undone.

Shoelaces do not have the slack, are not in an ideal position to work on when they're on your floppy and uncooperative feet, and are knotted with the intention of being easily untied for removal or re-tying to snug them up.

Why do we need our shoes tied tight? Because often leg spasms can kick our foot right out of the shoe, properly fitting and tied shoes can assist in reducing foot drop caused by a tightening Achilles tendon, and it can help reduce edema. For these reasons I prefer footwear with a fairly high rise to them. However, hightop sneakers are more of an 80s to mid-90s thing. Hiking boots are usually what I go for when the long search for the right new footwear, that won't bother my feet or cause pressure sores, begins.

I have been fortunate enough to have someone available on a regular enough basis to tie my shoes when they need it. I do not suffer from edema like many people do, and because my feet are well stretched out each day I do not fear foot drop. Because of this I simply slip my shoes on and off each day but have not actively sought out a reliable method for independently tying shoes.

If you have a solution for this I would very much welcome your feedback!

Next week we will look at Velcro which goes far, far beyond a method of securing shoes in its usefulness and helpfulness in strengthening our independence.

Solution: Other than practice and patience, I have none that I can recommend as reliable and adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment