Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Gloves

Hatch quad leather topsy palmed wheelchair gloves


One of the most significant moment to moment challenges of being a quadriplegic is the lack of hand and finger function. Being able to firmly grasp things with one hand, use tools and grip surfaces is not something to be taken for granted.

These rubber-palmed, leather, quad wheelchair gloves (quad because of their lack of fingers and wrap around style of donning) provide protection from the disproportionate amount of use our hands go through on a daily basis. They are, for me, shoes, brakes, warmth, a means to hold on to tools and utensils, a source of rigidity for my fingers, friction for countless applications and an item that spends more time on my body than off of it. This well-used pair is very near retirement.

Many of my peers use football receiver gloves or weightlifting gloves, both of which have full fingers and can be time consuming to get on curled, stiff digits. For me, these gloves provide a shape to my thumb and index finger which was, and now is, essential to my wrist tenodesis. Tenodesis will be a future post but, for now, let me explain it this way: When tendons tighten that tightening can be guided to be advantageous. As my newly paralyzed thumb tendons tightened they were guided so that as I pull my wrist back into extension my thumb pinches against my index finger, providing some functionality.

The advantage of my quad gloves is the tight band the Velcro creates around my first knuckles. Sliding tools between the glove and my palm is the key to my ability to cook, build things at my workbench and many other tasks where this can effectively simulate a grip. Many posts to come will make this very clear.

They may not be ideal for a Saskatchewan winter, but I'd rather get where I'm going with cold hands than be comfortably warm and stuck in the snow.

Source: Hatch - They can be difficult to have shipped to Canada, but resellers are available and the gloves are available on Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jay I was wondering which style or model number your gloves are. There are a few different choices for fingerless gloves on the Hatch website and I want to be sure I'm looking at the ones that work best for someone without full hand function. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Hatch-TP100-Wheelchair-Quad-Gloves/dp/B00T8JEPHS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1479442569&sr=8-13&keywords=hatch+wheelchair+gloves

    Yes, full grown man, 6'2" and XS is my size. My good friend is built identically, with a very similar injury, and uses large. The sizing chart is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete