Monday, August 12, 2013

Utensil Handles



When I was still attempting to cook without gloves on, to prevent any mess on them, I had my dad adapt a number of utensils with inexpensive drawer handles found at any hardware store and many department stores. These are just a different style from the type I used for the Roll Handle on our headboard. I had him modify a few flippers, a ladle and a large serving spoon. For some I had him open one end by cutting off one of the posts of the handle. This made it easier to slide my hand parallel along the handle as opposed to perpendicular as would be the case with the handle pictured above.

It does require drilling a hole in the handle with either a vice and drill or a drill press but that is not too difficult for anyone comfortable with tools. I would recommend substituting the machine screws that come with the handles with either a galvanized machine screw or a nylon machine screw. They are more money but seeing the rusting problem with my previous solutions I would definitely recommend spending the few extra cents for something that is not going to wear out due to rust or, potentially, get rust in your food.

The problem with holding onto the utensil perpendicularly, with compromised wrist strength, is that flipping something like an egg or a grilled cheese sandwich is not done easily and fluidly. The open-ended handle helped to make that easier but, over time, I have ended up just using standard utensils and let The Gloves do the work. I posted the above photo because it was a very good solution for me initially and may be a good solution for someone reading this.

When choosing utensils to purchase I find a wider flatter handle, possibly with some rubber incorporated to it, makes for the most effective tool for me.

Source: Most department stores and any hardware store.


No comments:

Post a Comment