Monday, April 7, 2014

Sport Cuff


I misplaced my sport cuff many years ago because I always just use a new pair of The Gloves with strong new Velcro as my tool of choice to hold on to any sporting device with a straight handle. When I wear The Gloves I do not diminish my ability to wheel nearly as much as when I tried using the above pictured sport cuff. I also found the sport cuff to limit my wrist function which is so essential to so many sports, especially those such as badminton or icefishing where wrist movement is really essential to the technique. However, for someone who's muscles that control the wrist are paralyzed this cuff makes some sport possible where it would not have been, otherwise.

For sports such as tennis or fishing with a large rod, where the movement involves more control by the larger arm muscle groups, a sport cuff has great advantages. This one was borrowed from my friend, and former model, Paul. Though he and I have virtually the same level of function, there are a few muscles of mine that provide me just a little more function than him. Where every little bit of function counts, especially where wrist flexion and triceps come in, a sport cuff like this can mean the difference between being able to successfully participate in an activity or not being able to.

Source: Occupational therapy product catalogues, online, or custom made.

No comments:

Post a Comment