Monday, June 16, 2014

Nail Clippers and Nail Files


Ingrown nails are unpleasant for anyone but an undetected ingrown toenail can be a source of Autonomic Dysreflexia and, if untreated, infection for those of us without sensation in our toes or fingers. Healing in the feet and legs of we quadriplegics is reduced because of our diminished circulation so preventative care is much better and easier than treating a problem after it begins. Standard nail clippers usually take care of the majority of the work, that is, when a person is able to effectively use them. I cannot.


For years post injury I would chew my fingernails off when they needed it. This had all sorts of implications from damage to the nail, peeling back further than it should at the edges, as well as sanitary concerns. As well as I could wash my hands, sometimes the underside of the nails just didn't come as clean they could. Thankfully, I found a solution.

The 15 cm x 2 cm nail file pictured above is my simple solution. When tucked in between the palm of my hand and my gloves it is sturdy enough for me to effectively file down my fingernails. I have to get creative with pinning down the finger containing the nail being filed, but that is another challenge solved by finding the right surface or technique to hold the digit steady. I have been fortunate to have someone care for my toenails but I do feel confident in my ability to file them while in bed, should the need arise. I have learned to do my nail filing before laundry day because the pile of dust produced by it inevitably gets on my clothing and skin. Often the irritation it causes on my face makes me itchy for a period of time unless I really scrub it clean.

Before I found the nail files I use now, I used to use a smaller crystal nail file secured to a butter knife with hockey tape. The knife simply served as a longer handle to make it easier to hold in my gloves. These larger files have eliminated that need.

Source: Department stores, drugstores, eBay.




No comments:

Post a Comment