Monday, May 4, 2015

Think Twice Before Taking that Handicapped Spot in Russia

Last week I discussed Handicapped Parking Spaces and Placards.The irony of this video making its way into my presence into my newsfeed via Reddit, just a few days later, is quite remarkable. Without question some of the most effective anti-drinking and driving or anti-texting and driving advertisements are those that shock and surprise a person. After all, it's becoming more and more difficult to make an impact on people as we grow increasingly desensitized.

I don't have a problem with shocking advertisements in the safe situation such as watching TV or YouTube. However, as you will see in the video below, my concern is that the surprise my cause a driver to slam on the gas, instead of the brake. Watch for yourself.


I can't say that I have a problem with this strong approach. It's clever and makes people think. It may be Russian, Russian drivers may purportedly be less considered about leaving accessible spaces open to those needing them, but I'm pretty sure the message is transferable to just about anywhere in the world. I don't know if I like the shock it might cause a driver but maybe it would make them think twice and never forget what they saw. Still, face-to-face communication and a growing understanding is probably more long-lasting and encouraging but it's pretty difficult for us disabled people to connect with everyone we would like to educate.

Good on Russia for addressing the problem. A lot of blatant accessibility problems in Canada never get attention or looked at. I guess it takes somewhere with a little bit of courage to respond strongly enough to effect results.

Originally seen on Digital Synopsis.

No comments:

Post a Comment