Monday, May 19, 2014

Rounded Versus Square Mattresses

Being adaptable is important for instances such as traveling or simply being away from home. I certainly notice when I am away from the very suitable circumstances of our home. I am very efficient in our kitchen with my island but put me in someone else's kitchen without a suitable surface for me to roll under, with a knife that is not easy for me to hold safely, and I do not look very efficient at what I am trying to do.

At times I grow complacent with the ease of my transfers at home in relation to other places and always find them especially easy when returning home after being away. The struggle of a more difficult transfer only serves to enhance my balance and strengthen muscles through the effort required.


One of the biggest challenges is sleeping and dressing in a bed that is not our own. Especially if that bed happens to have a queen size mattress with a rounded edge like the photo above. Ironically, that is the first mattress I used post injury and it was recommended by my occupational therapist because it uses an air bladder system which supposedly provides better pressure relief. In order to get that softer mattress it needs to be deflated a bit once in bed and re-inflated to be firm enough to complete my morning routine. The air pump is as loud as a vacuum cleaner which is not what I would call the first thing I want to hear in the morning after waking up.

Unfortunately, when the mattress is fully inflated it has a concave shape to it. This causes the edge to be far less usable at night or in the morning when it is time to sit up and it causes my hips to tend to want to slide off the bed. That means to safely sleep in the bed I need to have more than half to myself, which leaves my wife with far too little space for a comfortable night's sleep. When transferring in and getting undressed at night, and then getting back into my chair in the morning, it feels as though I am always fighting the tendency to slide off the bed. For these reasons it is a passable bed for the cabin and only needs to be endured a few times per year.

Below is our current bed. It is a combination of a firm bottom foam mattress and a medium density topper. The top portion of the mattress is about one third as thick as the bottom and is still quite firm. I have yet to have any problems with pressure areas, the sharp edge gives me a good sense of security for both sitting up at night and when transferring in and out. We ordered it from a custom mattress manufacturer who essentially makes each combination of mattresses on a customer to customer basis so it did not cost us a ridiculous amount of money. Coming home to this bed after being away reminds us that it was worth every penny.


As you can see above, I still use a sheepskin to keep my feet comfortable at night and prevent any pressure areas on my heels or ankles. It was time for the red one to be retired once I found this one at Costco around the middle to end of September, which is when they seem to carry these each year.

Source: Many mattress stores will help you find what fits your needs best, but I recommend going somewhere that they specialize so you are not getting the cookie-cutter sales pitch from a general furniture salesperson.

No comments:

Post a Comment