Monday, May 26, 2014

The Island


I stand by the importance of having the right tools for the job, regardless of where that might be. Utensils for cooking effectively, such as the right flipper or knives, are crucial as much as the right hacksaw or rotary tool are for the first steps of building something. In the future I will show you my workbench and carefully chosen tools, but today the focus is on the surface essential to safely cook.

The top level of the island pictured above is a standard countertop height. It still has a significant degree of functionality for me but is primarily my wife's surface for her kitchen needs. The lower surface is a mirror image of the top level of the island with the two essential aspects. Firstly, the fact that I can roll under it anywhere along the front or sides. Secondly, the lowered height of it, which was chosen based off of other surfaces that have worked well for me. Having this large surface available to me has given me almost complete freedom in the kitchen to cook as effectively as I do.

A plug-in at each end of the island allows me to use multiple electrical appliances at the same time and the front 15 cm of the upper-level, where you see the coffee grinder, salt shaker and pepper grinder, is accessible to me to help keep my work surface as free as possible. If I had to do it all over again, given the space available to us, I would have rotated the island 90° and made it another 15-30 cm wider. Too often I am left with a slightly tighter preparation area than I would like when there is a hot pan or wok beside me. I am careful, but this has caused the occasional burn. Thankfully I have not, yet, spilled a vessel of hot food on the floor.

Though height is important, the most important thing is by far the fact that I can roll right under it and be facing forward while preparing. The same goes for being able to roll under a sink, be it in the kitchen or bathroom, or my workbench downstairs. Anytime I have been forced to pull up parallel to a vanity, and twist my body to try to use the sink, it results in a back ache and shoulder pain after an extended period of time. I can get by but I really appreciate having my work surfaces fully accessible.

Source: Custom made by the cabinet company who worked with our home builder. Easily done by any cabinet maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment